Friday, November 21, 2008


P H I L A D E L P H I A
Day 2

My second day in Philadelphia began with a beautiful view of downtown being inundated by snow. (see below) The blizzard didn't last long and for the rest of the day the sun shone through out the city. I edited my Powerpoint presentation in the morning and walked the 7 blocks to the Charter High School for Architecture and Design (CHAD) in the early afternoon. The weather was beautiful - clear and crisp.

I met with Miguel Vasquez, the college counselor @ CHAD who, after my few trips to Philadelphia and his trip to Grand Rapids to tour Kendall, has become both a valued professional contact and a personal friend. Of any counselor I have met in my 3 travel seasons, Miguel is the best. He learns the strengths and weaknesses of each of CHAD's seniors and uses this information to pair them up with the art and design schools that best match their temperaments.

The presentation went well, although the audience was small. Due to a change in CHAD's schedule, my presentation conflicted with the Seniors lunch hour and apparently a few students chose food over listening to me speak and I can't say that I blame them. Though there were not many atendees, those present showed top notch work, as I have come to expect from CHAD students. I am especially excited by the work of one student, Ameer Savage. His graphic design and photography skills are beyond most his age. You can see examples of his work here.

After my presentation, Miguel and I had lunch at El Fuego, a Mexican restaurant a few blocks from the school. The school itself is only blocks from Independence Historical National Park, home of the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall where the Declaration of Independence and American Constitution were signed.

Later in the afternoon I ventured over to Reading Terminal Market,(photos below) a bustling market filled with fresh produce, meats, breads, and a variety of other retail vendors. Although it isn't as large, it rivals Pike Place Market in Seattle and Toronto's St. Lawrence Market (which Joe and I visited during our trip to Toronto last week) as my favorite urban farmer's market.

Tonight I plan to grab dinner with Miguel and the principal of CHAD, Stephanie Shoning (who had her adorable new Weimaraner puppy at school today.) and then it is back to my hotel to plan tomorrow's adventures...


A snowy Philadelphia morning...





On my way to CHAD. I had to make sure my shirt looked ok - the camera never lies...





The bustling Reading Terminal Market...