Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hollywood / L.A. 1/19/2009

My plan to visit schools today to drop off materials was foiled due to the M.L.K holiday - I hadn't considered that when I made my travel arrangements last month. I took advantage of the beautiful day and drove up to L.A. and Hollywood where I toured Universal Studios (and saw the "Psycho" set!!!), saw the sunset at the Griffith Observatory (which is prominently featured in one of my favorite non-Hitchcock classic films, James Dean's film "Rebel Without a Cause") and saw a photography exhibit at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. I started my day with another beautiful sunrise over Laguna Beach...


The L.A. skyline from the highway...


Universal Studios Hollywood...


The Universal Studio's Studio Tour is a mixture of real studio sets and set up "experiences" on the studio backlot...some highlights: Susan's (Terri Hatcher) house on Wisteria Lane (Desperate Housewives). The street known as "Wisteria Lane" has been used in multiple productions throughout the studio's history including Mockingbird Lane in the Munsters...


The plane crash from Steven Spielberg's "War of the Worlds"...


E.T.'s Phone...


Dino from Jurassic Park...


From one of the studio's Western sets...


Jaws...


The set of Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" (1960)...Motel and House...





Mitch's (Rod Taylor) pecked blazer from Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" (1963)


Hitchcock's personal bungalow where he stayed while filming on the lot...


The Hollywood sign from the Griffith Observatory...



The Griffith Observatory...



James Dean Memorial at the the Griffith Observatory where a
pivotal scene in "Rebel Without a Cause" was filmed...


The Griffith Observatory with the L.A. skyline in the background...