Saturday, January 17, 2009


SAN FRANCISCO, 1/15-1/17, 2009

I was lucky enough to escape the deep freeze that hit the Mid-west this week, jumping on a plane to California just as temperatures sunk down to about -10 degrees in Grand Rapids. This trip incorporates two west coast National Portfolio Days - the first in San Francisco, and the second, further south in Laguna Beach.

The San Francisco NPD was hosted by the Academy of Art University which claims to be the "nation's largest art school". I believe this is true since it seemed there was an Academy of Art sign everywhere I looked as I drove throughout the city. I wouldn't have known that they were the nation's largest art school, however when I saw the arrangement of the review tables - all of them crammed into one small area of a large building, causing the long lines for the big name art schools to block some of us small guys. Not very good spatial planning - I hope the Academy doesn't have an Interior Design program...

Beside the NPD, I also delivered pre-NPD information packets to some of the bay area high schools including the San Francisco School of the Arts. I was happy to see multiple SotA students arrive at my table with outstanding portfolios, as expected. I also had some time to explore many of the filming locations of Alfred Hitchcock's bay area movies. (A blog devoted to my "Hitchcock Tour" is 2 posts below.)





Mable wears her "Golden Gate Red" pants to the bridge...


A vertigo inducing staircase at Fort Point, the fort at the
southern base of the Golden Gate Bridge...



The famous San Francisco trolly cars. Kinda makes you crave some Rice-a-Roni...



Homelessness is on the rise in San Francisco...